The Ashes Series is typically played biennially, with Australia and England taking turns hosting the tournament.
The name ‘Ashes’ comes from a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper in 1882. The column announced the ‘death’ of English cricket following their first defeat at the hands of the touring Australians. The article claimed that the body of English cricket would be cremated and ‘the ashes’ sent to Australia.
When England journeyed to Australia later that year, their captain was presented with a small urn, reputedly containing the ashes of a wooden bail. The two countries have been contesting these ‘Ashes’ ever since.
The Series is highly competitive, with both teams vying for the chance to claim bragging rights over their historical rivals. It is considered one of the most prestigious events in cricket, and fans from around the world eagerly anticipate each edition of the tournament.
2023 Ashes Series
The upcoming Ashes series in 2023, officially known as the LV= Insurance Ashes Series due to sponsorship reasons. It will be played in June and July of that year. The tournament will take place across five venues: Edgbaston, Lord’s, Headingley, Old Trafford, and The Oval.
Australia will enter the series as the current holders of the Ashes, having won the previous series against England. The tournament will also be a part of the 2023-2025 World Test Championship.
This will be the 73rd Ashes series overall and the 37th to be played in England. The Series was brought forward to June to avoid clashing with The Hundred tournament, which is scheduled to begin in August.
Ashes Betting Odds
The Ashes Betting Odds for 2023 are currently showing England as the favourites with odds of 5/6, followed by a draw at 6/1 and Australia at 6/4. This suggests that England is most likely to win the series this year.
These odds come from Betfred (17th April 2023), and these are outright series bets. However, the Ashes give cricket fans lots of betting opportunities throughout the series. Fans can take a punt on individual games and top runscorer/wicket-taker markets, etc. Below we take a look at the various markets available for the Ashes series in 2023.
Some of the most common betting markets for the Ashes series include:
BET £10 GET £20 IN FREE BETS
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Payment method restrictions. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. Full T&Cs apply. 18+ begambleaware.org. #ad. Please bet responsibly.
- Outright Winner: This is the simplest form of betting, where you place a bet on the team that you think will win the entire series.
- Series Correct Score: This type of betting involves predicting the exact scoreline of the series. For example, you could bet on Australia winning the series 3-1.
- Match Betting: This involves betting on the outcome of each individual match in the series.
- Top Batsman/Bowler: This type of betting involves predicting which player will score the most runs or take the most wickets during the series.
- Player of the Series: This is a bet on which player will be named the Player of the Series, based on their overall performance.
GET £40 IN BONUSES WHEN YOU STAKE £10
When considering which betting markets to choose, it’s important to do your research and make informed decisions. There are several websites that provide detailed statistics, analysis, and previews of international cricket, including the Ashes:
- ESPN Cricinfo – This website is one of the most comprehensive sources of cricket news and analysis. They provide live scores, match reports, player profiles, and detailed statistics for all international cricket matches, including the Ashes.
- Cricket Australia – The official website of Cricket Australia provides up-to-date information on all aspects of Australian cricket, including the Ashes. They offer match previews, player profiles, and in-depth analysis of the team’s performance.
- ECB – The official website of the England and Wales Cricket Board provides news, features, and statistics on all aspects of English cricket, including the Ashes. They offer match previews, player profiles, and analysis of the team’s performance.
- Betway Insider – This website provides expert analysis and previews of all major cricket tournaments, including the Ashes. They offer detailed statistical analysis, betting tips, and predictions to help fans make informed decisions.
- The Cricketer – This website provides news, features, and analysis on all aspects of international cricket, including the Ashes. They offer in-depth previews of matches and series, player profiles, and expert analysis from former players and coaches.
Who Will Win The Ashes?
The upcoming five-match Test series between England and Australia has all the ingredients to be a truly iconic event.
With England’s meteoric rise under the captaincy of Ben Stokes and the guidance of head coach Brendon McCullum, they have become a formidable team that cannot be taken lightly. In contrast, Australia’s unbeaten record in the ongoing ICC World Test Championship cycle makes them a formidable opponent.
According to former England captain Michael Vaughan, the Ashes 2023 series will be a must-watch event. Vaughan predicts a blockbuster series with England emerging as the victors, thanks to their strong batting line-up and the leadership of Ben Stokes. The stage is set for a battle between the world’s best bowling attack and England’s powerful batting line-up.
Australia has had a tough time winning an Ashes series in England in recent years, with their last victory dating back to 2001. However, with the prestigious urn in their possession since 2017, they will be eager to prove their dominance and enhance Pat Cummins’ captaincy record.
In Play Ashes Betting
In-play cricket betting is a type of betting that allows you to place wagers on cricket matches while they are in progress. This type of betting is also known as live betting or in-running betting. In-play betting markets typically remain open throughout the duration of the match, giving bettors the opportunity to make wagers.
One of the advantages of in-play betting is that it allows you to assess the situation of the match before placing a bet. You can observe the performance of each team and individual players and then make an informed decision based on the current circumstances.
In-play betting markets for cricket can include a wide range of options, such as:
- Next Wicket: This is a bet on which team will take the next wicket.
- Method of Next Dismissal: This type of bet involves predicting how the next wicket will fall, whether it be by a catch, run out, stumping, or bowled.
- Next Batsman Out: This is a bet on which batsman will be the next one to be dismissed.
- Total Runs in the Next Over: This type of bet involves predicting how many runs will be scored in the next over of the match.
- Runs in the Next Delivery: This type of bet involves predicting how many runs will be scored in the next delivery of the match.
It is important to note that in-play cricket betting can be highly volatile, and the odds can change rapidly. It is important to have a solid understanding of the game and make responsible betting decisions.