Darts in Britain isn’t just a game – it’s a national pastime. Over the years, Britain has produced some of the finest dart players in the world.
Here we’ll take a look at some of the current top British darts players and their accomplishments. And we’ll also give our top 10 all-time best British players.
Current Top British Darts Players
This is our list of current top players in no particular order.
Gerwyn Price (The Iceman)
Gerwyn Price is a Welsh professional darts player and former professional rugby union and rugby league player. Nicknamed “The Iceman”, he has quickly established himself as one of the world’s top Darts players since turning professional in 2014. He rose consistently up the ranks before securing his maiden televised crown at the 2018 Grand Slam of Darts, his first of three major titles.
Price is known for his aggressive style of play and intense focus on the game. He has won multiple tournaments, including the UK Open, Players Championship Finals, World Series of Darts Finals, and World Cup of Darts. He also reached the final of the 2020 PDC World Championship, where he lost to Peter Wright. His success has earned him numerous sponsorships from companies such as Red Dragon Darts and Target Darts.
Overall, Gerwyn Price is an excellent darts player who has achieved great success in a short amount of time. His aggressive style and passion for the game make him one of the most exciting players to watch on tour today.
Michael Smith (Bully Boy)
Smith is a great darts player because of his consistent performance and ability to stay focused under pressure. Michael won both the 2022 Grand Slam of Darts title and the 2023 PDC World Championship.
His success has earned him recognition as one of the best players in the sport today. Smith’s skill and determination have made him a fan favourite, and he continues to be an inspiration for aspiring darts players worldwide.
Rob Cross (Voltage)
Rob Cross is a professional darts player who has had an incredible impact on the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) circuit. He first made his mark in 2018 when he won the PDC World Darts Championship, becoming the first-ever debutant to win the title.
Since then, he has won numerous other titles, including the 2019 World Matchplay and 2021 European Championship. His success is due to his impressive skill and accuracy with the darts, as well as his determination and focus on winning.
Peter Wright (Snakebite)
Peter Wright is one of the most successful darts players in the world. He has won numerous titles, including the 2020 and 2022 PDC World Darts Championship.
His success can be attributed to his unique style of play, which combines a powerful throwing technique with an aggressive attitude. He is also known for his flamboyant dress sense and trademark mohawk hairstyle.
Overall, Peter Wright is one of the best darts players in the world due to his unique style of play and ability to adapt quickly to changing conditions on the board. His success has made him one of the most popular figures in darts today and has earned him legions of fans around the globe.
Nathan Aspinall (The Asp)
Nathan Aspinall is an English professional darts player currently playing in Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) events.
He has quickly climbed the rankings and succeeded in the sport, winning the 2019 UK Open with a 170 checkout in the final leg against Rob Cross.
MR PLAY OFFER
BET £10 - GET £15
Luke Humphries (Cool Hand Luke)
Luke is a young up-and-coming player who, in 2022, reached his third quarter-final in four years. With his skill set and determination, there’s no telling what heights he will reach next.
Jonny Clayton (The Ferret)
Jonny Clayton is one of the top professional darts players in the world, currently ranked 7th in the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC). Nicknamed The Ferret, he has been playing on the PDC circuit since 2015 and has achieved many successes.
In 2021 he won the World Grand Prix and the Premier League Darts event. Jonny also landed the Master and World Series Finals – what a year!
In the exciting world of British darts, these players continue to astound us with their incredible performances and dedication to the game. They embody the spirit and passion of darts in Britain, continually setting the bar high for aspiring players.
All-Time Best British Darts Players
Please note that listing the top 10 British darts players of all time can be subjective, as it can be influenced by different factors, such as the number of championships won, their impact on the sport, and their peak performance level. However, below is a list that many in the darts community might agree upon.
- Phil Taylor: Taylor is often considered the greatest darts player ever. He dominated the sport for over two decades, winning an unprecedented 16 World Championships.
- Eric Bristow: ‘The Crafty Cockney’ was a dominant force in the 1980s. Bristow won five World Championships and was instrumental in popularising the sport.
- John Lowe: Known for his consistency, Lowe is one of the only players to have won the World Championship in three different decades (1970s, 1980s, and 1990s). His smooth, accurate throwing style is still admired today.
- Jocky Wilson: The late Jocky Wilson, a Scottish darts legend, won two World Championships and was a top player throughout the 1980s.
- Gary Anderson: The ‘Flying Scotsman’ is a two-time PDC World Champion. Anderson is known for his high-scoring and smooth throwing action.
- Dennis Priestley: Priestley, known as the ‘Menace’, was the first player to win both the BDO and PDC World Championships, a testament to his skill and longevity in the sport.
- Rob Cross: ‘Voltage’ made an immediate impact in the sport by winning the PDC World Championship in his debut year. His rapid rise to success showcases his remarkable talent.
- James Wade: Wade has consistently performed at the highest level over the years. Despite not having a World Championship to his name, he’s won several major titles.
- Adrian Lewis: ‘Jackpot’ is a two-time PDC World Champion. Lewis is known for his ability to perform under pressure and his rapid, rhythmic throwing style.
- Alan Evans: A popular Welsh player in the 1970s and 80s, Evans was a top contender in the World Championship several times. He is remembered as one of the characters of the game.
It’s important to note that the sport of darts has been graced by many talented players over the years. This list only represents a fraction of the skill and talent seen in the British darts scene.
Spice Up Your Darts Experience with Betfred!
Have you ever felt the thrill of a bullseye? Experienced the tension of a close darts match? Betfred is here to bring you closer to the action with our dynamic darts betting platform!
Whether you’re a darts enthusiast or a newcomer to the sport, Betfred offers an unparalleled betting experience and provides a wide range of markets and the best odds for all the major darts competitions worldwide.