Craps is an exhilarating casino game that attracts both beginners and seasoned players. While the game may initially seem complex, a clear understanding of the rules and smart betting techniques can significantly improve your chances of winning.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the key strategies to keep in mind while playing craps, both in-person and online.
Rules and Objectives of Craps
Craps is played with two dice, and the objective is to predict the outcome of their roll. Bets are placed on various areas of the craps table, each representing a specific or combination of outcomes. Here are the main bets you need to know:
Pass Line: A bet on the outcome of the first roll (the “come-out roll”). If the shooter rolls a 7 or 11, the bet wins. If they roll 2, 3, or 12, the bet loses.
Don’t Pass Bar: The opposite of pass line bet; you’re betting that the shooter will lose by rolling a 2, 3, or 12 on the come-out roll.
Come Bet: Similar to the pass line bet, but placed after the point has been established. It wins if a 7 or 11 is rolled and loses if a 2, 3, or 12 is rolled.
CORAL NEW CUSTOMER OFFER
GET A £20 FREE BET
Place Bets: Bets placed on specific numbers (4, 5, 6, 8, 9, or 10) being rolled before a 7.
Odds Bets: Additional bets made in conjunction with pass line, don’t pass bar, or come bets. They payout at true probability, making them highly desirable for players.
Strategies to Improve Your Chances of Winning
Knowing how likely each outcome is can help you make informed decisions on which bets to place. For instance, the pass line bet has a probability of winning of around 49.3%, making it a preferable choice for beginners.
Use the Correct Betting Strategy
Start with simple bets, such as the pass line or don’t pass bar, as they have lower house edges. As you become more comfortable, explore more advanced bets like come, place, and odds bets.
Manage Your Bankroll
Set a budget and stick to it. It’s easy to get carried away in the excitement of the game, but disciplined bankroll management is essential to long-term success.
Differences Between In-Person and Online Craps
The social aspect of playing craps in a land-based casino can be incredibly thrilling, as players often cheer each other on. This atmosphere can be a significant draw for many players but can also be intimidating for beginners.
Online craps allows for more flexibility and convenience, as you can play anytime, anywhere. Most online platforms offer both live dealer games and RNG (Random Number Generator) games, each with distinct advantages:
Live Dealer Games: Real-time games with professional croupiers, simulating the authentic casino experience. They are ideal for players who enjoy the atmosphere of a land-based casino but want the convenience of playing online.
RNG Games: Controlled by a computer algorithm, these games offer faster gameplay and are perfect for practising your skills and strategy without the pressure of playing with others.
[insert page=’x-snippets/betfredcasino_mainpagesofferbox’ display=’content’]
Tips and tricks for playing craps
- Understand the rules and the bets: Before playing craps, take the time to understand the rules of the game and the different bets that can be placed. This will help you make informed decisions and increase your chances of winning.
- Stick to the basic bets: As a beginner, it’s best to stick to the basic bets like the pass line and don’t pass line bets. These bets have a lower house edge and are easier to understand.
- Use a solid betting strategy: A solid betting strategy can help you manage your bankroll and minimize your losses. Consider using a system like the Martingale or Paroli betting systems, or develop your own strategy based on your preferences.
- Take advantage of free odds bets: Many casinos offer free odds bets, which have no house edge and can increase your chances of winning. Make sure to take advantage of these bets whenever possible.
- Manage your bankroll: Set a budget for your craps session and stick to it. Avoid chasing losses and don’t bet more than you can afford to lose.
- Watch for trends: Some craps players believe in following trends or patterns in the rolls of the dice. While this is not a foolproof strategy, it can be helpful to keep an eye out for any recurring patterns.
- Stay calm and focused: In any gambling game, it’s important to stay calm and focused. Don’t let emotions cloud your judgment, and don’t make impulsive decisions based on short-term results.
- Be aware of craps etiquette: Craps is a social game, and there are certain rules and etiquette to follow when playing at a casino. Familiarize yourself with these rules to avoid any misunderstandings or conflicts with other players.
- Take breaks: Playing craps for long periods of time can be tiring and can affect your decision-making. Take regular breaks to rest and clear your mind.
- Practice and have fun: Like any skill, playing craps takes practice. Take advantage of free online games and practice sessions to improve your skills and develop your strategy. And most importantly, have fun! Craps is a game, after all, and should be enjoyed.
Craps is a fun and exciting game that can be enjoyed by players of all levels. Whether you prefer to play in-person or online, it’s important to understand the rules, develop a strategy, manage your bankroll, and stay focussed. With practice and the right attitude, you’ll soon master the art of playing craps.